Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Saturday 18 August 2007

August 18th - Slating

Spent the day on the roof, slating all on my lonesome. Slow progress, frustrating at times when a slate that has taken several minutes to measure, cut and nail decides to break at the last hammer-stroke, but ultimately rewarding. I was working around one of the big rooflights, reminding myself how the recessed flashings work. Almost got it finished. Should speed up from now on, although I'll need to work out a much more efficient way of getting the slates to roof-level than carrying them up the ladder in batches of a dozen or so on my shoulder!
I blithely estimated a week on each pitch of the roof, but at this rate it will be easily double that, meaning that I'll not be finished by the time the straw is being cut.
Hmmm...

No comments: