Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Sunday, 19 August 2007

August 19th - Not a slate laid

An unremittingly foul day, with incessant rain and wind. Slating was out of the question, on safety grounds as much as anything else, and Mal and I spent the day inside. I installed the wiring for the ground-floor ring-main and cooker the finished off the first-floor central-heating plumbing - all except one bedroom. Meanwhile Mal had been putting the drainage for the downstairs WC and basin together, then installing a section of sub-floor, insulation and chipboard flooring to enable him to build the downstairs partitions. I diverted from the first-floor central-heating to run the pipes in for the radiators in the part of the house where he was working.
In the process of my toils I managed to snap two big drill-bits, and resolved to spend a bit more on quality tools in future.
The roof is leaking like a sieve, and the velux I was working on yesterday, which is now partially flashed, was literally pouring water onto the bedroom floor. I rigged up a bit of membrane and some waste-pipe to divert the flow into a bucket, which was full to within an inch of the top by tea-time!
As I write it has stopped raining. Let's hope it stays that way! No pictures because I forgot my the camera.

No comments: