Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Thursday 30 August 2007

August 29th - Groundhog Day

Another day slating on my own. After lots more fiddling and umpteen more broken slates I finally got clear of the two big rooflights, and should now make much better speed skyward. farmer Neil was buzzing about with his digger in the morning, levelling our field in readiness for sowing with grass-seed, so I collared him and asked him to shift the mound of earth from the east end of the building to let us make a start on the verandah. Keen to get Mal involved with that before he jumps ship, as I think the Aussie input will make all the difference.
I'm finding that I can carry fewer and fewer slates up the ladder at a time because of the aches and pains in my back, shoulders and right elbow. Not sure I'm cut out for all this manual toil!
Anna and the kids came in the afternoon, and Anna transferred the rockwool insulation from the shed into the snug to make space for the straw, which should arrive very soon. Must find some pallets...
290807

No comments: