Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Tuesday 7 August 2007

August 7th - OSB & wiring

My tactic, perfected over the last two months, of ignoring my business and hope that it looks after itself is starting to catch up with me, and I have a horrible backlog of niggly repairs to sort out. To try to keep the hounds at bay I've taken to working a bit early in the mornings when I'm still fuzzy-headed and sometimes late at night when I'm knackered. This morning I was up at 06:30 and knocked off a couple of orders by about 8:15. I was on my way to the plot with a box laden with fresh goodies from the bakers when a text message came through saying my nephew Ryan was on a flight to Newcastle and would be landing in 50 minutes. The drive to Newcastle takes 90. Somewhere someone had screwed up and neglected to tell me he was coming. I tore home, picked up the twins and hared down to Newcastle to collect him.
Made it over to the plot at lunchtime and spent the afternoon installing the wiring for the upstairs ring-main while Mal and Melvin worked on the OSB sheeting on the west gable.
A delivery arrived from Doves, with moisture-resistant gyproc for the bathrooms, 25kg of clouts for the slates and 42 lengths of the wrong timber, which we sent back.
Davey the slater failed to show up last night, and when I woke him this morning he promised to get me started tomorrow night.

OSB & wiring 070807

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damon - I just wanted you to know that I am an avid fan of your blog and fascinated by your progress ( and hope, one day, to do the same: i.e. build an eco-friendly, as carbon-neutral as possible house). Also, strangely, I am a near neighbour (live in Linton). Keep it up (the work and the blog!)