Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Thursday 9 August 2007

August 8th - An alarming visit

Mal and Melvin spent the day sheeting and framing, including the moving of a wall to accommodate a built-in cupboard in bedroom 2. I had to shuttle back and forth between house and plot a couple of times to look after the kids while Anna went to perform a funeral.
The big event of the day was a visit to site by Chris Weir from Building Control, who came to inspect and test the drains before the trenches are backfilled. The drains passed without a hitch, but he came into the house, after I'd left the site, and informed Mal and Melvin that the warrant for the construction of the timber frame hasn't been issued. I'd assumed that the initial warrant and my submission of notice of commencement would suffice, but it transpires that the warrant issued was purely for the foundations. The man from the council who deals with warrants for this area is on hioliday, so we'll need to sort it all out when he's back.
Davy the slater popped over in the evening to give me some advice, and promised to return and get me started once the scaffold is in position and I've bought the tools I'll need. The warrant problem left me feeling gloomy and a bit stressed.

sheeting 080807

No comments: