Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Thursday 23 August 2007

Slating & scaffold

Another warm sunny day, and I was anxious to get as much done as possible. I had an order and some work calls to see to first thing, and didn't get to the plot until after 10. Carried on with the slating until I reached as far as I could without either a roof-ladder or more roof-irons. Since I have neither (roof-ladder on order), I set about dismantling the scaffold and moving it. Couldn't reassemble it further along the same pitch because there's a large hole there carrying the service pipes, so instead I lugged it all round to the front of the house and built it up to eaves level there, with a bit of help from Anna, who turned up after school-time with the kids.
I briefly wondered if the scaffold towers might have been a false economy, bearing in mind the time spent moving them from place to place. I then remembered martin Warrall, who's approaching the end of a timber-clad SIPs self-build telling me that he ended up forking out SIX GRAND on scaffold hire. That's ten times what I paid to buy my kit, and at least I'll own it at the end of the job. Should come in handy for maintenance, painting fascias, replacing broken slates etc.
Strange being on site with no Mals or Melvins making a racket. Knocked off about 5:30 with the scaffold built but not yet braced to the building. Thinking of asking Davy Beveridge or his sidekick Mark to give me a hand slating at the weekend if they're not busy.
Jim Jordan from Rembrand Timber rang to say that the flashing for the waterfall window had turned up, without his even ordering it. Wonder if I did? Anyway, it's a bonus as they quoted a 4-week lead-time about 10 days ago.
Put together drawings and spec for the stairs in the evening for a couple of local suppliers to quote against.
230807

No comments: