Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Sunday 2 September 2007

2nd September - cavity floor & reveals

Had Mal on site again, meaning chat and LOUD music, which made a change after the last week's solitude. I spent the day flooring the cavity where the straw will go with 11mm OSB and sarking to make it rodent-proof. Mal worked all day on the reveals around the ground-floor windows and doors. By the time we knocked off at 4:30 to head to the twins' birthday party I thought the house looked significantly different, but I don't think Mal and Anna agreed. Perhaps it's a psychological thing, as the space for the bales is now much more clearly defined, and I can now see the walls being stuffed within the next week or two.
Finished sanding the douglas fir posts in the garden by artificial light in the evening so Mal and I can fit them tomorrow. Not sure if Melvin's coming.
Build It magazine has published an article about the project and this blog. Almost every mention I made of Mal and Melvin has been carefully edited out, making it look as if I've built the whole thing on my own. Mal didn't seem bothered, but Michele was most put out!






















Straw cavity now floored

















Utility room window

No comments: