Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Tuesday, 11 September 2007

September 11th - Rage

Shocker of a day - for no real reason. Arrived at the plot keen to get on the roof and make the most of the continuing gorgeous weather, which surely can't last much longer now that we're in the second week of September. Mal and Melvin were already there, and battering away at the upstairs sheeting. Mal obviously has a schedule in mind, with an impending holiday in Spain and a provisional date for his return to Oz next month. His plan is to crack on with the internals and try to get everything indoors ship-shape before he leaves. My instinct (an he's the builder, of course!) is to get the weather-sensitive parts (roof and straw) done and dusted while the weather holds, even if it means delaying the internals by a week or so. He put me to work on the plumbing, running waste and water pipes in the ground-floor ceiling, which need to be in place before the ceiling can be closed up.
I had no appetite for it, and fell immediately into a petulant strop. Worked away at it for an hour or two getting more and more hacked off with it before finally spitting the dummy once the water feed pipes and sink drains were installed. Couldn't face the awkward toilet waste pipes.
Nipped upstairs to discover that the lads had closed up the walls of one bedroom completely and were working on another. Quickly ran a few wires before it was too late, then, finally, got onto the roof for some slating.
Throughout all this, Ben was patiently stapling vapour barrier around the perimeter walls upstairs, keeping his head down and ignoring my ranting and tool-throwing.
Plagued again by a seam of fragile slates, which was the straw that broke the camel's back. Actually "pierced" would be more accurate than "broke", as in my ill-tempered flailing I managed to stick the sharp slate-holing end of my hammer into my shoulder... twice!
Calmed down a bit and by the end of the day I reached the ridge-line, which did wonders for my mood. Shame Ben was exposed to so much swearing and bile, but luckily there were no children on site today, and being a squaddie he's probably heard the odd oath in his time!
Weather set fair for the next few days, so if I can persuade Melvin to tackle the remaining plumbing I'll move the scaffold to the back of the house and bash on with the slating there.

No comments: