Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Saturday 29 September 2007

September 29th - Haulage

Borrowed a trailer and Land Rover from Tom Edgar, a local farmer and our ex-landlord. Anna and Ellie were in Perthshire for the day, so I bundled all three boys in the back and drove to the sawmill in Lilliesleaf to collect the spruce cladding they've cut for me. There was too much for one load, so we split it in half and I delivered the first load to Abbey Timber, just over an hour's drive away in Abbey St. Bathans. Here it will be dried and planed by our friend Willie Dobie. I was feeling bad about having the boys in the cargo-hold all day, so I rang Anna's mum and she happily agreed to lok after the scallywags for a few hours while I did the second run. Very long day's driving on twisty roads with a heavy trailer. After dropping the last of the cladding with Willie, we loaded up all the structural timbers for the verandah - a mixture of douglas fir and larch and I brought it home. It was too late to take it to the plot and the boys were starting to freeze in the back, so it'll stay here overnight.
Forgot my camera, so just two pictures taken on my phone. The first shows the whole cladding consignment of 550 planks of 3600 x 150 x 25mm spruce, and the second, which is intended as a "before" shot, shows the unplaned timber. The "after" shot in a few weeks should show a shiplap profile.

No comments: