Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Thursday 11 October 2007

October 11th - porch etc

Yesterday was a down-day on the plot, apart from the tapers who put in a full day (I hope!). I did pay a brief visit just as they were packing up, to deliver the remaining structural timbers for the porch and verandah, which I'd hauled from Abbey St. Bathans on the roof of my poor old wheezing car.
Today we were back in strength. Mal and Melvin worked together for the morning on the porch, while I finally polished off the kitchen bulkhead and the boxing-in of the stack in the pantry. Melvin then fitted a load of joist-hangers and the rest of the rafters on the verandah. At 3pm I had to leave on a school-run, and asked Melvin to take over from where I had been extending the storm-water drainage trenches to accommodate downpipes from the porch. The porch structure completed, Mal moved inside and started marking and cutting the timbers for the installation of the stair components tomorrow.
I made a late run to the site with the hand-rails and base-rails, and also a load of untreated spruce boards for the porch ceiling.
111007

No comments: