Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Saturday 19 January 2008

January 19th - plumbing

The family had a panto to see in Edinburgh, and after packing them off I headed to the build for a good uninterrupted day. Yesterday's carpentry had made a huge amount of mess, so I had a good sweep-out of the ground-floor. The 20 rolls of insulation that arrived wet have more-or-less dried out, so I ferried them one-by-one up to Ellie's room, handy for rolling out in the loft. They'd been a bit of an obstacle downstairs, and it's nice to be able to move around the place properly again.
That lot took me till about lunchtime, and after a short break I got stuck into the kitchen plumbing. The waste kit for the sink unit was pretty involved and took quite a while. The supply to the taps was a doddle by comparison. The sink and taps look great, but I had no camera again.
At long last I was in possession of all the necesary bits for the bathroom WC. The cistern for this is wall-mounted, and connects to the pan with a highly polished chrome pipe. There were no timbers in the wall where I wanted to mount the cistern, so I used butterfly fixings, and will drill a hole through the back of the cistern to fix it to a stud when I have a diamond-tipped drill bit. Although the tiling behind the bath isn't quite finished, I couldn't resist plumbing that in as well, and will have to undo the waste-pipe temporarily to finish the tiling tomorrow.
Yesterday I foolishly told Melvin that we're running out of things to do, but having made a fresh and very scary list that has to be knocked off in the next ten days, I texted him to put him straight!

No comments: