Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Wednesday 2 January 2008

January 2nd - Plumbing & shopping

A frustrating day. I drove over the border to Berwick to take advantage of the fact that the English winter holiday ends a day earlier than the Scottish, only to find that Graham Plumbers Merchants were closed anyway. This meant I couldn't get the bits and pieces for the main bathroom. Instead I went to Doves and picked up a load of waste traps and other gubbins for the sinks and dunnies.
After a brief appearance at a neighbour's party I dropped in at the plot and quickly discovered that the traps were the wrong size (40mm instead of 32mm), the kitchen sink waste fitting didn't fit, the universal kitchen sink trap, which claims to fit "virtually all 1.5 sink units in the UK and Europe" doesn't suit ours, and the shower-room WC is designed for a waste pipe that comes from the wall, rather than the floor, as ours does. Of the 10 fittings I bought, only one was useable! Plumbed in the downstairs WC basin, just so I could feel that I'd achieved something, then raced home to order a load of replacement fittings from Toolstation before I missed the cut-off.
Harrumph!

No comments: